Taking Possession of your Calgary home or condo is both a stressful and exciting day for the Buyer’s. Your home is their NEW home and it is both courteous and required that a Seller ensure that they have met all the requirements of the sale and subsequent hand-over of the property PRIOR to the date of possession. The new home buyer may have time constraints imposed by their move. It is imperative to the finalization of a successful sale that you the Seller meet your Possession duties.
Here are the most important items
- Change your mailing address, this can take up to 2 weeks to take effect so do it sooner rather than later. The necessary forms are available at any post office or on-line at www.canadapost.ca
- Phone all Services and inform them of your possession date
- Gas Services (Atco, Enmax, Direct Enegry)
- Electricity (Enmax, Direct Enegry)
- Home and Mobile Telephone (Telus, Shaw, Rogers)
- Television (Telus TV, Shaw TV)
- Internet (Telus Internet , Shaw Internet Services)
- Canada Post (mail forward and moves) or call: 1-866-607-6301
- Remove all unwanted articles from your property - if it weighs more than 60 lbs. the city garbage collectors will not handle it.
- Your home should be substantially in the same condition as the buyers last saw it.
- Leave all Manuals for appliances and other gadgets included in the sale.
- Leave all Keys (house, shed, mailbox, garage, fireplace etc.) on the kitchen counter.
- Leave all Security System / keyless entry codes and information on the kitchen counter
- Leave any remote controls for permanent fixtures on the kitchen counter
- Leave all Warranty cards and / or necessary paperwork
- Leave your new address so that any mail or deliveries can be forwarded
- Discard any / all flammable / dangerous liquids stored on the property (your local Calgary Fire Hall typically takes dangerous goods).
- ‘Leave a note for the new home owner with any instructions (mailbox location, mystery light switches etc).
- ‘VACATE THE PREMISES in a timely manner in accordance with the agreed upon Possession date & time.
About the Author
Dan Welyk has been a Licensed Real Estate Professional since 1999 and has grown up in the Real Estate Industry. FindNewDigs.com brings home buyer's and home owners together to find useful information, tools and ideas.
Read other posts by Dan Welyk