Getting Ready to Apply for a Permit
Permits - When Do You Need Them?
You will need a Development Permit for any New Construction or Changes in Use such as a secondary suite. This is not a Building Permit – you will need one of those too.
Development Permit - The First Step
Things you will need:
- Copy of your Title (you can obtain this from Alberta SPIN 2 by making an account or contact your local registry) You will need a copy of your legal address. If you do not have this, refer to your property tax information and it will be on those documents.
- Copies of any registered Restrictive Covenants, Utility Right of Ways, Easements or City Caveats registered on Title. These will be listed on your title document and you can find the registered documents on the Alberta SPIN 2 website as well.
- Colour photographs with minimum of 2 different views of:
- Front and Rear of Building
- Unique Features and Aspects of Significance to the development parcel
- Fees – Download Fee Schedule
- 6x Copies of Site Plans and Floor plans
- and more....
These are just a few of the items required. The full list is available on the downloadable application forms.
**It is very important to provide as much detail and information as possible based on these forms to expedite your application process.**
Hire a Professional
When doing this yourself, all of this information will more than likely seem very foreign to you. I highly recommend you hire a contractor or consultant who is extremely familiar with the Development Application process.
This will be money well spent as they will save you time, frustration and money in the long run.
If you have any questions pertaining to the Development Permit process, you can contact the City of Calgary Development and Building Approvals department at 403-268-5311.