Spring and Fall Walkabout
One of the most important parts of home maintenance are seasonal walkabouts around your home and yard to look for potential hazards and fixes before they become a problem.
Keeping up with this maintenance will help keep your house and property in check and will prolong the life of part of your home like fencing, decking and building envelope.
Especially in Calgary, we can have many freezes and thaws throughout our spring and sometimes early summer which then usually is followed by thunderstorms bringing heavy rain and strong winds.
Your building envelope should be inspected to look for potential areas water can penetrate.
What to Look For Around Your House:
- Ice build ups or ground settling that prevent proper water shedding away from house.
- Loose siding and roof shingles - these can usually be re-attached or fastened without calling in for help depending on your comfort level of ladders and heights.
- Window frames and casings for exposed wood or missing/cracked silicone seals.
- Blocked dryer or furnace venting.
- Cracked or deteriorating foundation - I recommend contacting a professional if you have concerns.
What to Look For Around Your Yard:
- Fence integrity - our seasons change fast and fierce, this can cause fences to heave or come loose.
- Trees and Shrubs over take utility lines, venting or start to rub on the roof or siding - cut these back. Hire a professional if you're unsure.
- Clean out the storm water swale if you have one to ensure fee flow of water.
- Look for settling of the ground that can cause water pooling and potential flooding during a summer storm.
Winter can come fast and without warning in Calgary and having your yard ready and prepared is key to an uneventful winter and spring thaw.
Walking the perimeter and inspecting your yard and house is just as important in the winer as in the spring.
What to Look For Around Your Home:
- Door seals - easiest way is look for light penetrating. Easy fix with weather stripping.
- Vents or air intakes for potential areas where snow and ice can build up.
- Remove and drain hoses from hose bibs
- Look for areas where water can pool and possibly penetrate when we have Chinooks and remedy.
- Check foundation for any new cracking, make sure water/snow will not penetrate making it worse.
- Clear eaves from any fall debris.
What to Look for Around Your Yard:
- Pull out the shovels - may as well be prepared
- Tap down any nail heads that may have raised slightly on your deck for easy clearing.
- Check grade of yard to ensure proper water shedding.
- Clear storm swale for free water flow.
- Get free salt and sand from the City of Calgary