What to Ask Your Mortgage Broker or Bank
Getting financing for your home purchase is the first step to home ownership. Asking the right questions when meeting your mortgage professional or bank will help alleviate stress and potentially can save you thousands of dollars.
First build trust in their ability to do the job - Ask...
- How long have you been a mortgage professional and what accreditations do you have?
- Are you exclusively a mortgage broker or bank mortgage representative?
- How many mortgages do you complete annually?
- If it's after business hours, who will answer my questions and look after my file?
What do they offer?
- What kind of mortgage products to you offer? Are there other options?
- Do you offer any tools to help me pay my mortgage off sooner? Fees or penalties?
- Is the mortgage portable? Fees or penalties?
- What kind of rate guarantee if I convert a variable rate mortgage to a fixed mortgage?
- How does my credit score affect what you can offer me?
Fees and Follow Up
- What kind of fees should I be expecting to see while working with you?
- What kind of follow up services do you offer?
Do You Have Confidence?
You need to like and trust your mortgage professional. If you for some reason do not feel 100% confident in the mortgage professional you're interviewing, try another.
If you're considering completing renovations on your home once your purchase it, did you know you can roll some of the renovation costs into your new mortgage?
You want to ask your lender about Purchase Plus Improvements, this program will give you up to $40,000 to have value increasing renovations completed and the cost is added to your new mortgage.